Friday, May 15, 2015

WEST HIGHLAND WAY (WHW) – Day 8 – Kinlochleven > Ft William

West Highland Way, Scotland -- Day 8
FINISHED 97 MILES!!!




WEST HIGHLAND WAY BLOG LINKS:

Things to Know Before You Go
Day 1 – London > Glasgow > Milngavie > Drymen
Day 2 – Drymen > Balmaha > Rowardennan
Day 3 – Rowardennan > Inversnaid
Day 4 – Inversnaid > Crianlarich
Day 5 – Crianlarich > Bridge of Orchy
Day 6 – Bridge of Orchy > Kingshouse (Glencoe)
Day 7 – Kingshouse > Kinlochleven
Day 8 – Kinlochleven > Ft William

After the wonderful breakfast fixed for me by the 'Bad Girls' of Glasgow, (sausage, eggs, and some other stuff they called 'dumplings'), I was off to finish the WHW. Only 15 more miles to go.

A long 7 hours of climbing mountains and walking along ridge-lines before turning north for a final walk through the forest. It was depressing to see so many trees cut down. On the map I was supposed to be walking through several different forest areas. Several of these areas had been completely decimated and it was now just open hillside with a multitude of sun-bleached tree stumps covering the vast open areas.




As sad as it was to see so many trees cut down.. I do have to hand it to Scotland on another side. On my ENTIRE walk.. this entire past 9 days.. I do not think I saw enough trash or litter to fill up one small garbage bag. I walked 97 miles through the countryside.. a path that is used by thousands of people each year.. and there was NO LITTER! This made me love Scotland and the Scottish people even more.

With 5 miles left to go, I passed over the last hill and I could see Ft William way in the distance. This is when my legs and feet started hurting for the last time. No matter how good they felt at the beginning of each day, for the last 5 miles of each day, they stared to get a bit sore. Today however, I was also blessed with blisters for the first time, forming under both of my little toes.

You can tell the people in town that have just finished the West Highland Way.. they are the ones that are walking funny.. I'm so very proud to be in that group!

I stayed in the Glen Nevis Youth Hostel. You reach this location a full two miles before you finish the West Highland Way. So I stopped, took an amazing hot shower, had dinner, and then finished the trek.

To finish the WHW, you have to not only make it to Ft William, you have to walk an additional 1.5 miles through the city and all the way to the end of High Street to get to the 'OFFICIAL' end to the West Highland Way.... I did it! When you get there you get to pose with the sign.. and you can sit next to a statue of a man rubbing his feet.






In about one week I'll be in France, on the border of Spain, to begin the Camino de Santiago, 472 miles across the top of Spain, then I'll continue trekking down through Portugal.. all the way down to Sevilla, Spain (2 months walking).. then back to UK.. to do a quick trek of Wales.. then back to DUBAI!!


WEST HIGHLAND WAY BLOG LINKS:

Things to Know Before You Go
Day 1 – London > Glasgow > Milngavie > Drymen
Day 2 – Drymen > Balmaha > Rowardennan
Day 3 – Rowardennan > Inversnaid
Day 4 – Inversnaid > Crianlarich
Day 5 – Crianlarich > Bridge of Orchy
Day 6 – Bridge of Orchy > Kingshouse (Glencoe)
Day 7 – Kingshouse > Kinlochleven
Day 8 – Kinlochleven > Ft William


 




















1 comment:

  1. Hello friend. Can you tell me how far the "Stone of the Campbells" is from Ft. William? I would like to visit this site on the trail, but would need to make it there and back in a day. Is that possible? Thanks so much!

    -Anna

    ReplyDelete