Friday, May 15, 2015

WEST HIGHLAND WAY (WHW) – Day 6 – Bridge of Orchy > Kingshouse (Glencoe)

West Highland Way, Scotland -- Day 6



WEST HIGHLAND WAY BLOG LINKS:

Things to Know Before You Go
Day 1 – London > Glasgow > Milngavie > Drymen
Day 2 – Drymen > Balmaha > Rowardennan
Day 3 – Rowardennan > Inversnaid
Day 4 – Inversnaid > Crianlarich
Day 5 – Crianlarich > Bridge of Orchy
Day 6 – Bridge of Orchy > Kingshouse (Glencoe)
Day 7 – Kingshouse > Kinlochleven
Day 8 – Kinlochleven > Ft William

The terrain has changed drastically! First there was dry open fields. Then came the muggy shorelines of Loch Lamond. Then up into the soggy hillsides entering the dramatic open highlands and now that we are in the highlands, some of the toughest paths have yet to be trekked.

The paths are not hard because they are muddy, steep or slippery, they are not even more difficult because of all of the large, random rocks all over the path. It is even more of a workout dodging this rubble as it threatens to twist your ankle at every step.

But at least at this point my legs are in excellent trekking condition and I got a lesson from the one of the staff at the Youth Hostel in Crianlarich on how to adjust my rucksack. Now the traveling is so much easier and the weight on my back is dispersed evenly.

I've gone 13 miles through the mountains in about 6 hours today. ..I feel like I'm practically flying now. I've finished with the days hike at 4pm which is considerably faster than my 9pm end times when I began this trek almost a week ago.

In the middle of my walk this day, I made this 360* video to show just how wide open and blissfully alone you can be on a path through the Highlands of Scotland.


video

On the way into town, I started walking astride an older man from Essex, England who told me all about the history of the surrounding area. The path I was on would take me directly through the area of the Massacre of Glencoe. Quite a horrific event that occurred in 1692, on the very ground I slept on that night. 

The end of the days' trek is supposed to be at the Kingshouse Inn, but I had called ahead and there were no rooms available there, so I camped at the base of Glencoe Mountain Resort. This is a stop 2 miles before you get to Kingshouse, so I was thankful to get off my feet a little earlier than expected. There is a ski resort here that is open to hikers in the summer to camp and they have a great lodge with food and drink. I just got a Haggis Potato and a Pear Cider... so I'm all good. I just hope the spirits of the massacre do not interrupt my last camping experience of the West Highland Way.

On this night, I suggested a campfire with the guy that has a tent next to me. Several others from the campground joined us with extra bottles of cider, wine and even Jagermeister. It took us forever to start the fire with all of the damp wood around us.. but in the end we got it going. For the rest of my trek, my clothes smelled like campfire smoke. Not the worst smell in the world.

In the morning, I gave my sleeping bag and tent to the people running the Glencoe resort and asked for them to donate them to someone who may need them. This was an additional 5 to 7 kilos that I would be walking without now. Compared to it's weight when I started, my backpack felt extremely light. Two more days of trekking and I'll be done with my first trek this summer. I'm in NO WAY getting tired of this just yet.

Not as many photos now, since the highlands are so wide and open, it takes many miles for the scenery to change.


WEST HIGHLAND WAY BLOG LINKS:

Things to Know Before You Go
Day 1 – London > Glasgow > Milngavie > Drymen
Day 2 – Drymen > Balmaha > Rowardennan
Day 3 – Rowardennan > Inversnaid
Day 4 – Inversnaid > Crianlarich
Day 5 – Crianlarich > Bridge of Orchy
Day 6 – Bridge of Orchy > Kingshouse (Glencoe)
Day 7 – Kingshouse > Kinlochleven
Day 8 – Kinlochleven > Ft William









 











WEST HIGHLAND WAY BLOG LINKS:

Things to Know Before You Go
Day 1 – London > Glasgow > Milngavie > Drymen
Day 2 – Drymen > Balmaha > Rowardennan
Day 3 – Rowardennan > Inversnaid
Day 4 – Inversnaid > Crianlarich
Day 5 – Crianlarich > Bridge of Orchy
Day 6 – Bridge of Orchy > Kingshouse (Glencoe)
Day 7 – Kingshouse > Kinlochleven
Day 8 – Kinlochleven > Ft William

No comments:

Post a Comment